Sustainability at The Priory
We are conscious we all need to play our part in a more sustainable future by making small changes that compound to aid our common cause. Given the history and the nature of our building, this is not without its challenges, nevertheless, we feel it important to highlight the decisions and choices we have made for a more sustainable future.
- Locally Sourced, Sesonal Ingredients: We prioritise freshness and support local communities by using locally sourced ingredients that do not travel far to reach us.
- Waste Reduction in the Kitchen: Our kitchens implement stringent measures to minimise food waste, utilising smart practices such as making our stocks, using the whole of the produce for different purposes, and composting.
- No Takeaway Cups: Say no to single-use plastic. We do not offer takeaway cups, encouraging the use of reusable alternatives, or even better, relax, sit, and enjoy your hot drink on our Terrace or in our Drawing Room.
- Recycling used coffee granules: Our coffee granules make for excellent fertilizer on our beds.
- LED Lighting: We have been running a project to replace our lighting with more energy-efficient LED lighting.
- Propagation: We grow much of our plants, creating a sustainable ecosystem that enhances both our surroundings and local biodiversity. This includes our kitchen garden where our kitchen team sources many herbs and vegetables.
- Electric Charging Points: We have installed electric charging points for our guests to use on-site.
- Towel Laundry on Demand: To conserve water and energy, we launder towels only when necessary.
- Upgrading heating systems: We understand comfort is a priority for our guests but to be as efficient as possible, we have upgraded our heating system including boilers with increased insulation to maximise their energy efficiency. All our boilers have a high energy rating.
- Reduced Print with E-Vouchers and Online Check-in: Traditional, luxury hospitality is important to us, but technology comes with its advantages. We are embracing digital convenience while minimising paper usage through our e-vouchers and online check-in options. We reuse any paper we reprint where possible for notes or shred and recycle.
- Glass bottle collection and recycling: Where possible we recycle materials such as glass and cans and will continue to recycle where we can.
- Work with sustainably minded suppliers: We have reviewed our supply chain and will continue to factor sustainability into supplier choices.
At The Priory, sustainability is a daily commitment, we are continuously researching and implementing changes where we can to improve our footprint and contribute to helping our planet thrive.